Tuesday 20 May 2014

Refusal often offends

So this post is slightly different to the others, in that it concerns itself with the increasing number of areas organisations which to probe into our personal data.

I'll give a few examples

PCWorld - I go into the shop and browsing but really went into buy some papaer. Found the one that I wanted and went to pay. Got the usual questions about if it's business or personal, not that its any of their business but it was personal. Then we get to the next few questions, can we have you postal address and post code. I thought about this for a few seconds...... I'm paying cash in a shop for paper, why on earth would you want my postal address and postcode. So then started the debate with the sales chap. I tell him I'm a cash buyer for 2 reams of paper, why do you need any information at all? He clearly had no idea and thought I was being awkward. When I asked him what PCWorld were going to do with that piece of my personal data, he replied marketing. I politely declined to give the information and the systems were struggling, I paid my cash and left anonymously

Screwfix - Same thing but this time it was for some plasterboard fixings. I was paying cash, about £3, and they wanted postal address and email address. I asked what this was going to be used for and explained I was a cash buyer for a very small item. The sales lady couldn't really tell me, apart from some mumbled comment about marketing, so once again I declined. It started to get a little heated and her voice was raised "it's only your address and email" To which I replied which is mine, not yours and if this is the only way I can do business then I'll go elsewhere. I left anonymously, went to a local independent store, bought the screws and also left anonymously

Local pub - Now this I find staggering. I come out of the pub to the taxi rank, get in the cab and tell the driver where I'm going. Just about to set off when of the door staff come to the car with a clipboard. " can you give me your name and address" I asked what for and once again I got a terse response "because if you want the taxi you need to give me those details" I asked what on earth they were going to use this for and how long it would be kept. He couldn't tell, I refused. So I got out of the taxi and met the driver 5 yards further down outside of the pub grounds.

Want to know what Silicon Valley has planned for your shopping experience of the future. Take a listen to this Radio 4 clip.....Interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01z8t6k good or bad? I'll let you judge!!

I could go on but I won't. My point is unless the person asking has good reason and can tell you what they are going to with your data, how long they will keep it, where it will be kept then refuse. There is no legal reason for a pub to take your details, none. This is your privacy and it may offend the requestor but this kind of behaviour is now creeping into every walk of life and most of us are just accepting, well you don't have to be.

Lots of people, especially the younger generation Shovel their personal details around from company to company with little or no thought why. We really need to educate and explain that this stuff is precious, it's the new gold and everyone wants it. The old sign in shops used to read 'Don't ask for credit as a refusal often offends' Well don't ask for my data as my refusal will almost certainly offend.

Comments Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment